DIY Essential Oil Shelf

7:05 PM

I have been storing my essential oils in a little box in a cabinet... all piled in there. It was a horrible system. I had to dig through all my oils every time I was looking for something. Finally after a lot of nagging hint dropping, my husband agreed to help me build a wall shelf. I drew up a sketch of what I wanted, did some measurements and off to Lowes we went. I'm going to tell you how we did our shelf, but the height, width, number of shelves, pipe size, etc... can be changed to fit your space, but this will give you an idea of how to execute it. 

Supplies you will need: 
one 10'x1"x4" board
steel wool
vinegar
hole saw
saw
Sealer (I like this one)
Glue
Screws
*We used all ¾" pipe
Optional--sandpaper and metalic charcoal spray paint

The first thing you need to do is put steel wool in vinegar. It needs to sit at least 24 hours. I took a mason jar, added some steel wool and poured vinegar in until it was mostly covered. I shook it and took the lid off periodically. In my head this sped up the process... In reality, who knows. 

Then we cut our board down to four 28" pieces and sanded them. We used oak that had been kiln dried so it was actually about 3.5" wide instead of 4". This may not sound like a big deal but the very top board just barely fits in front of the flange. So be conscious of that when you are drilling your holes. Then JR used his hole saw to get cut the holes. We measured beforehand to determine the location of the holes on the board. The holes were ½" from the front of the board and 1" from the end of the board. He used the 1 ⅛ inch hole saw attachment.



Then we "painted" the vinegar solution onto the boards. as you can see it goes on clear but begins to darken like the picture below. 


Allow this to sit and dry completely. You only need the one coat. In the photo below, the board on the left is completely dry. Next comes the sealer. I found this butcher block sealer we used during our kitchen remodel and I like the finish it gives. I did 2 coats on these boards, waiting 3 hours and sanded with 400 grit sandpaper in between. 


My husband spent times wiping down all the pipes. When you purchase them, they are in bags and have a black grease type coating on all the pieces. 


and then he put a coupling on one end of all the pipes. The coupling is what holds the shelves up. 


We decided to spray paint the flanges because they are much lighter in color than the black pipes. We happened to have a spray paint on hand and used it to darken them up a bit. 



In this photo, you can see the way we arranged everything. He started at the bottom and worked his way up. Using the 8"pipe piece with the coupling already attached to the bottom, sliding the board on, and adding another coupling/pipe piece and repeat. The little nipple pieces act as the connecter/extender between the elbow and the flange. You have to do these for both sides obviously. You can add more shelves if you have a larger space. He tried to tighten the couplings about the same amount to avoid the boards being uneven.   

Once this was done for both sides we took it upstairs to hang it. Because the boards are not fixed to the pipe, be sure to use a level not only horizontally, but vertically--before you go screwing anything into the walls. Then you need to find a stud... Like my husband to hang this joker for you--see what I did there. I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.....  It's pretty heavy. There are a few screws that happen to line to up to a stud but he just anchored the rest of them.                                                                 


                   

Because the cut hole is slightly larger than the pipe--the boards wiggle a bit. We purchase a silicone quick set glue, to secure them but it didn't want to stick to the pipe. I ended up pulling out my crafter skills and hot glueing. Perhaps you may find a better solution but this worked well for us. I put the glue all the way around on the top of the coupling then pressed the board down. This step is not necessary but I didn't like how the shelf wiggled. I was afraid if someone bumped it, my oils would fall off. 


 And Viola!!!!! You have yourself a handy dandy shelf for your oils... or nail polish or whatever else you need. I saw "we" did this project.... but my husband did all the hard work. He's good at bringing my designs to life. My grandmother jokes about how Paw brings ideas to fruition but she polishes them and adds the style aspect... I think that's generally how JR and I complete projects. 


I had so much fun organizing my oils. There is enough room on this shelf to put your multiples behind each other. I just spread them out to fill my shelf. Although it would be cute for trinkets and things as well. The completed dimensions of the shelf are 35" high and 28" wide. 


Originally I wanted to use copper pipe. JR talked me out of it.... and although I still think the copper would look good in the right house. The black iron pipe goes with things we already have. So there is is.... Our Oil Shelf!!! Hope you find these instructions straight-forward. Comment below if you spot a mistake or if you make your own. I'd love to see a pic. 




You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe